Teen buys first lottery ticket to celebrate birthday, wins $1G per week for life

Kramer

Charlie Lagarde celebrated her 18th birthday with a lotto ticket that turned out to be a gift worth $1,000 a week for life.

A Canadian teenager, who bought her first-ever lottery ticket to celebrate turning 18 won $1,000 Canadian dollars a week for life.

Charlie Lagarde claimed her jackpot prize Monday with family and friends, The Toronto Star reported. She bought a bottle of champagne and the CA$4 scratch lottery ticket at a convenience store in mid-March, BBC reported.

After winning, she had the option of accepting a lump sum of CA$1m ($780,000) or earning CA$1,000 a week for life, the report said.

View image on TwitterView image on TwitterView image on Twitter

Le sourire d'une fille qui s'achète un 1er billet de loterie le jour de ses 18 ans et gagne 1000$ par semaine à vie, ça ressemble à ça! ?Bravo Charlie! Et on te souhaite de réaliser ton rêve : une carrière à @NatGeo #nosgagnants #gagnantavie

Lagarde consulted with a financial adviser, and after a few weeks, she chose the CA$1,000 annuity.

"It's without taxes so it's equivalent to a salary of more than $100,000 a year, so it's a great start in life for that young lady," Patrice Lavoie, a spokesman for the lottery corporation, told The Star. "That was her first lottery ticket ever and she fell upon a winning ticket."

Lagarde said she wants to use the money for travel and her education.

"I want to study photography,” she told Loto Quebec. “One of my dreams would be to work for National Geographic."

She turns 18, she buys herself her first lottery ticket and wins the jackpot : 1000$ each week for the rest of her life. I talk about that amazing story at 8:10 on @CJAD800 #gagnantavie