admin

THE MARIANNA HIGH SCHOOL DEBACLE.

deb.jpg

This story blew up yesterday and I wound up spending 2 hours on it during the show.

Wednesday was the NATIONAL WALK OUT DAY for High School's all across the Country. Teens from all across the Country planned to walk out of class at 10am on their own accord.

"On their own accord..."

But NOT at Marianna High School in Jackson County, FL.

Here in Bay County, Superintendent Bill Husfelt handled the situation like he should have. Below is the memo/email he sent to all staff at all the school's in Bay County:

There have been very few things in my educational career that have consumed public education like the discussion currently going on about protecting our students. I'm sure that you have joined your colleagues across the state, and really across the country, in sending your prayers to the families of Parkland and those impacted by the tragedy on February 14th.  I'm sure you have also seen the students of Parkland on television and in the media as they have talked about their desire for change and improved school safety.

You may or may not be aware that they are calling for a "National School Walkout" tomorrow (3/14) at 10 a.m. so students can protest/walk in remembrance for 17 minutes in memory of the 17 lives lost on February 14th.

As you know, school safety is our number one priority but we cannot sanction, nor prevent, this school walkout.  We began a conversation with our school principals last week and we are sure that some of our students will choose to walk out.  It is important to know that, unless the school has an ‘organized plan’,  leaving class without permission will be treated that day just like any other day.  The consequences will be no greater or less – ‘Leaving Class without Permission.’   That being said, we do not expect you to try to stop them or to engage in arguing against or agreeing with this walkout ... as educators we must remain neutral during this time and must not appear to be encouraging nor prohibiting students from participation.

Thank you, in advance, for your assistance with this situation. I have no idea how many, if any, students will choose to walk out,  but I want to make sure you're "in the loop" and prepared just in case it happens in your classroom.

That is how it should have been handled everywhere.

But not at Marianna High School.

At 10AM, the principal went on the intercom and told the teachers to check their email.

The teachers found out they were about to have a fire drill.
IT WAS NOT A FIRE DRILL!

The students went outside for almost 20 minutes. Some of the students tried to go back in after they realized it was a political event against guns. They were denied entry in to the school and forced to go back outside. Some of the teachers had signs holding them up politicizing GUNS.

Here is a pic:

m2.png

Here is another pic of a sign:

m1.png

Here is a post from a parent:

marianna post.png

Here is another post that caught our interest:

mari1.png

mari2.png

Let me blow that up for you:

marianna bigger.jpg

We were told that in several classes, politics is discussed often. And a lot of the liberal teachers in this school often preach about what a mess America is in now because of Donald Trump.

Adding fuel to the fire, I had two students on the show yesterday from Marianna High and listen below to the JAW DROPPING bombs these kids drop about life at that school.

FOLKS! SOMETHING has to be done about this situation. SCHOOL IS FOR LEARNING - not politics.

Hunter Nolan and the Superintendent of Jackson County were both reached out to for comment and refused to come on the air with me.

MADDIE

ASHLYNN

Guest Anonymous

The sign saying to “Protect Kids not Guns” was not even put up at the school until school was over, the sign was posted after the walkout. Also it was not a walkout protesting guns, it was even announced at school that we were honoring the victims of the parkland shooting, we stood out for 17 minutes to respect the ones who lost their lives. People took it out of context

Guest Anonymous

Nothing was taken out of context..planning a fire drill that lasted 17 minutes in 40° weather, and then making an announcement thanking them for participating is TOTAL BS. It only teaches them it's ok to lie and get something accomplished. I hope and pray these students get the justice they so deserve!!

Guest Balinda

My husband and I are still pissed over my Son and his classmates being forced to participate in the National School walk out at the Marianna High school!!! I Def don't approve of my child being or others used for the political agenda of something we do not beleive in!!!!
It was shady how they went about this. The school should have not planned a fire drill during the same time as Protest time!!! We are not stupid!!! 
The Marianna High school forced my son and other kids to participate and exit schools in pre-tense of a fire drill them tell them that it was to show the  remembrance of the students that were shot and let the media sensationalize it. 
My husband and I tried to talk to school board and speak with superintendent. Still no call back and no response!! We are working people and don’t have a lot of time to take off, but you best believe they going to hear from the Taylor family even if we have to take off work!!!!
We are a die hard avid A2 supporting family and we take this matter very seriously!!!!!
It is like they already know why you are calling and start reading from a script, and other parents say same thing!!! My husband didn’t even say why he was calling the lady that answers phone assumed he was calling about the Marianna High school event. Which he answered, Yes!!! He could have been calling about another issue!! There is a lot issues at Jackson County schools and this tops it all!! My daughter was a victim of Bullying and they did nothing!!! She is in another school not in Jackson County!! 
We still waiting in limbo for them to contact us after message left to make appointment to speak in person!! I guess we going to have call again or go up Clint Taylor!!!! This is BS!!!

Guest Anonymous

It wasn't to protest guns, the signs were about parkland. Paige just wanted attention. Its not a big deal, most of our teachers told us what it was before we went outside. We knew it was about parkland not guns.

Guest Guest

I have two children there and they were told it was honoring the students who were killed. I don’t know what teacher told this girl something differently but I know for a fact that the principal had nothing to do with protesting guns. All this crap is being blown out of proportion and needs to stop. The principal cares about his students and helps them in any way they can. 

Guest Michael Byrd
3 hours ago, Guest Anonymous said:

The sign saying to “Protect Kids not Guns” was not even put up at the school until school was over, the sign was posted after the walkout. Also it was not a walkout protesting guns, it was even announced at school that we were honoring the victims of the parkland shooting, we stood out for 17 minutes to respect the ones who lost their lives. People took it out of context

This is not true whatsoever. It was about protesting guns. And the sign saying to “Protect Kids not Guns” was up way before the walkout. 

2 hours ago, Guest Anonymous said:

It wasn't to protest guns, the signs were about parkland. Paige just wanted attention. Its not a big deal, most of our teachers told us what it was before we went outside. We knew it was about parkland not guns.

So her being contacted and expressing her opinions is wanting attention...no it's called THE FIRST AMENDMENT!  To me you remaining anonymous is wanting attention but to scared to come out and say it...

Guest Han
1 hour ago, Guest Michael Byrd said:

This is not true whatsoever. It was about protesting guns. And the sign saying to “Protect Kids not Guns” was up way before the walkout. 

That doesn’t change the fact it was put up by a STUDENT who had nothing to do with the forming of the activity. The protest wasn’t about gun rigts, the signs being held outside had nothing to do with gun rights. This was supposed to be commemorating the victims and now its not even about that, its just a pissing match.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.